Does WordPress Include Hosting? Get the Truth for Your Website
The answer is yes! WordPress does include hosting.
However, there are important details you should know. This guide will help you pick the right choice for your site.
|Does WordPress Provide Hosting?||Yes, on WordPress.com|
|Free & Paid Plans||Available on WordPress.com|
|WordPress.com||Hosted platform with limited features|
|WordPress.org||Requires separate web hosting, is a CMS|
WordPress.com vs WordPress.org
Yes, WordPress does provide hosting on WordPress.com. They offer both free and paid plans suitable for various needs.
However, it’s crucial to understand the difference between WordPress.com and WordPress.org.
|Hosting||Included (Hosted Solution)||Requires Separate Hosting|
|Cost||Free & Paid Plans||Free, but Hosting & Domain Cost Extra|
|Customization||Limited Themes & Plugins||Full Customization with Any Theme/Plugin|
|Setup & Maintenance||Managed by WordPress.com||User is Responsible|
|Monetization||Restrictions on Ad Services||Full Freedom for Monetization|
|E-commerce||Limited with Paid Plans||Full with Plugins like WooCommerce|
|SEO & Analytics||Limited SEO & Built-in Analytics||Advanced SEO & External Analytics|
|Backup & Security||Managed by WordPress.com||User-Managed with Plugins|
|Data Ownership||Managed by WordPress.com||Full Ownership & Control|
Table A: Explaining the differences between the two WordPress. Do note that while WordPress.com allows ad services and backup, the availability of these features depends on the plan you choose
WordPress.com: The Hosted Platform
- Hosting Included: WordPress.com is a hosted platform, which means it includes web hosting in its services.
- Limited Features: Websites created on WordPress.com come with limited features compared to its counterpart.
- Not a Web Host: While it provides hosting services, WordPress.com is not a web host in the traditional sense.
WordPress.org: The Self-Hosted CMS
- Requires External Hosting: WordPress.org is a widely-used content management system (CMS) that requires you to purchase separate web hosting.
- Full Power of WordPress: To harness the full capabilities of WordPress, you’d need to use WordPress.org. (More that below)
- Separate Domain and Hosting: If you’re leaning towards WordPress.org, remember that you will need to buy both a domain and hosting to get your WordPress site live.
Before I end this, I like to highlight this.
The Power of WordPress.org
Below are 6 solid reasons to consider WordPress.org for your website.
1. Themes and Customizations
- Unrestricted Themes: With WordPress.org, you have the freedom to upload any theme, whether it’s free, premium, or custom-built by a developer.
- Deeper Customization: Dive into the theme’s code and tweak it to your heart’s content, tailoring every aspect of your website’s appearance.
2. Plugins and Extensions
- Unlimited Plugin Installation: Unlike WordPress.com, there’s no restriction on the number of plugins you can install on WordPress.org.
- Advanced Functionalities: Add features like e-commerce, forums, membership areas, and advanced SEO tools, which can transform a basic site into a powerful web platform.
3. E-Commerce and Monetization
- Full E-commerce Capabilities: With plugins like WooCommerce, you can set up a comprehensive online store with varied product types, payment gateways, and shipping options.
- Ad Control: Choose any ad service, or even host your ads, giving you the freedom to monetize your site as you see fit.
4. SEO and Analytics
- Advanced SEO Tools: Use plugins like Yoast SEO or All in One SEO Pack to optimize every page, post, and image for better search engine rankings.
- Deep Analytics: Integrate tools like Google Analytics to gain in-depth insights about your visitors, their behavior, and site performance.
5. Security and Backup
- Robust Security Plugins: Install security plugins that offer features like firewall protection, malware scans, and brute force attack prevention.
- Backup Solutions: Use plugins to schedule regular backups of your site, ensuring you can quickly restore it in case of any issues.
6. Ownership and Control
- Complete Data Ownership: All your website data belongs to you, and you have the full authority over it.
- Server Access: Get direct access to your website’s server, allowing for more advanced modifications and optimizations.
1. Does WordPress.com provide free hosting?
Yes, WordPress.com offers both free and paid hosting plans.
2. What’s the main difference between WordPress.com and WordPress.org?
WordPress.com is a hosted platform with limited features, while WordPress.org is a self-hosted CMS that offers extensive customization options.
3. Do I need to buy a separate domain for WordPress.org?
Yes, if you’re using WordPress.org, you’ll need to purchase both a domain and hosting separately.
4. Can I use any theme or plugin with WordPress.org?
Absolutely! WordPress.org allows you to use any theme or plugin, offering maximum flexibility for your website.
Does WordPress Include Hosting – Summary
In a nutshell, WordPress provides hosting for websites created directly on the WordPress.com platform.
However, if you’re looking to unlock the complete potential of WordPress, it’s best to use self-hosted WordPress.org and invest in separate web hosting.
You’ll have more control of your website.
You Might Want to Check This Out Too
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through my links, at no extra cost to you. Please read full disclosure for more information.
Resources To Grow Your Business With
Bluehost is a great starting point for beginners or bloggers who want to switch to a reliable web hosting service. And it gives you the best bang for your buck - starting at $2.95 a month*.
With the entry-level hosting plan, you'll get a high up-time, reliable customer support, FREE domain name (first year) and 30 day money back guarantee.
It's a web-hosting service I love using. It specializes in WordPress hosting, and depending on what package you opt for, you can host 5 or more sites on one account. The best bit is - the quick turnaround in support is top notch.
For bloggers who have an established blog, this is a fantastic option.
You can learn more about this service here.
Building an email list of a growing audience is essential for the longevity of any business. This autoresponder service is easy to use, and it is a great starting point for someone looking to kickstart their email campaign.